Thursday, April 5, 2012

Beef, it's whats for dinner


I am an evolved predator at the top of the food chain and have no problem eating meat, in fact I love it. Nothing is better to me than a thick, medium-rare, juicy steak and I have no problem eating one as often as possible. In fact I love going out and hunting and eating my game but the problem with most store bought meat, especially beef, chicken and turkey is that these animals have been literally processed in CAFOs. CAFO stands for concentrated animal feeding operation and is extremely popular in America due to its favorable economics but they come at a cost. Operators unethically cram as many animals as they can into their lots and ignore their wellbeing. There is also massive environmental effects as the livestock trample and "discharge" themselves year round in the same areas turning once beautiful green pastures into disgusting mud pits. Although I enjoy eating meat I always feel guilty buying it in stores knowing that it most liking came from a CAFO. But what is a consumer to do? Im a poor college student and don't have the luxury of shopping at Whole Foods and buying organic and grass fed meat at this point of my life so I feel stuck eating the Albertson's brand CAFO processed meat. Still tastes good, just makes me feel a little unethical.....

No comments:

Post a Comment